Welcome to the inspirational and exhilarating universe of architecture and built environment. We are an innovative centre for teaching in architecture, and sustainable and urban design, and the department's expertise attracts leading specialists from practice and industry. We are an energetic, amiable department and the enthusiasm of our staff and students crafts a vibrant and stimulating place to discover.
Why study architecture and built environment at KDU - Southern Campus?
As a primary centre for research and teaching in architecture, urban design and sustainability, the Department of Architecture is particularly distinguished for its innovative perspectives to creative problem solving enlightened by efficacious research. The department's in-house staff augments its work by the contributions made by chief professionals from practice and industry.
Teaching is controlled to sustain efficient student learning:
- Foundation material is provided via lecture-based programmes
- Group and individual projects are utilised to explore design related curriculums
- Core knowledge on engineering and technology based themes is provided by making use of examinations and laboratory work, and then exploring applications through design based projects.
- A variety of approaches is used to support project work:
- "critique" presentations ("design crits")
- small group tutorials
- individual teaching
- computer laboratory classes
Students are able to achieve:
- a wide foundation in design-thinking
- awareness on environmental issues
- communication of ideas via multimedia
- analysis skills
- Students are provided with an assortment facilities required for efficient learning:
- architectural drawing studios including drawing boards
- effective classroom environments
- efficient teaching aids, such as a e-boards
- sports and fitness facilities
- free accommodation
Students on the BArch and BSc courses are provided with the prospect of working alongside practising architects from many outstanding architectural practices who are involved in the architectural design studio projects.
Strong links with companies allow for our graduates to have exceptional opportunities for employment, professional recognition, and research training. The majority of our graduates will go on with careers in architecture, whilst others may seek alternative routes, such as project management, energy management, research, construction and housing management.