Department of Radiography & Radiotherapy in the Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University commenced its first degree programme; “Bachelor of Science in Radiography” in 2013. This programme is a full time course which runs for 4 years. Students who are successfully completed the programme are awarded the BSc Hons (Radiography) degree.
VISION & MISSION OF DEPARTMENT OF RADIOGRAPHY & RADIOTHERAPY
To produce professional diagnostic & therapy radiographers with high level of skill and knowledge to improve the quality of services in the health sector.
To be a leading center of academic excellence in producing intellectually and professionally competent radiography and radiotherapy graduates to meet the requirements of the national and international community.
Graduate radiographers are expected to play a leading role in the upliftment of radiography professional standards of the country and providing patient care.
The KDU BSc in Radiography & Radiotherapy graduates will,
- have the knowledge to assess the patients and their clinical requirements to determine appropriate radiographic techniques.
- be able to perform a range of radiographic examinations on patients to produce high-quality images.
- be capable of observing and maintaining contact with patients during their waiting, examination and post-examination stay in the department.
- be able of taking the responsibility for radiation safety in your work area including checking equipment for malfunctions/errors, managing referrals to ensure patients receive a radiation dose as low as reasonably possible and safely supervising visiting staff and patients in radiation work areas.
- have the skills to assist in more complex radiological examinations working with doctors such as radiologists and surgeons.
- have the capability in providing support and reassurance to patients, taking into account their physical and psychological needs.
- be able to supervise assistant practitioners, students and other staff, and delivering appropriate education and training.
- be able of understanding and observing health and safety at work and welfare issues, including ionizing radiation regulations, to protect yourself and others.